Matthew Chapter 3
In the first Bible study we learned how to get through the genealogy of Jesus and reviewed the story of His birth. We learned how Bethlehem means "House of Bread" and reviewed the Scripture of the Last Supper where Jesus said the bread was His body that would be sacrificed for us. Pay close attention to this study and see if you can see where bread is mentioned again.
As we continue with the Gospel of Matthew we find that the scene changes in Chapter 3. Matthew says nothing else about the childhood of Jesus but goes straight to the beginning of His ministry. Jesus was at the age of 30 when His ministry began. Go ahead and read Chapter 3 and answer the following questions.
***Unscramble the words below. Time yourselves and see who can get done first.
1.(BpJnoatistwheh) came preaching in the
wilderness of (eaJdu). +
2. "I indeed baptize you with water unto
**Bonus--who said it and what is the rest of the quote?
3. John saw many of the (sePhesari) and the (duceSaeds) coming to his (matipsb). He said to them," Brood of vipers, who (anwerd) you to flee from the (htrwa) to come?" ++
4. "His winnowing (naf) is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His threshing (oflro), and gather His (tweha) into the barn; but He will (bnru) up the chaff with unquenchable (erif)." +++
**Bonus--Who is John talking about here?
5. "And suddenly a voice came from heaven saying , this is my (vedolbe) Son, in whom I am well pleased.
6. He (liwl) baptize you (htiw) the Holy Spirit and fire.
7. "And do not think to say to yourselves, 'We have (haAbmra) as our father.' For God is able to raise up children to him from these (esstno).
**Bonus--Who said it and to whom was it said?
8. John tried to prevent baptizing (suJes). "I have (dene) to be baptized by You, And are you (mcogni) to me?"
9. (pReetn) for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand.
10. John himself was clothed in (el'mcsa) hair, with a (ereltha) belt around his waist; and his food was (oclstus) and wild (yehno).
11. Then Jesus came from (eleGali) to John at the (rdJona) to be baptized by him.
12. "Isaiah Prophesied: The voice of one crying in the (ilwsedrsne): (preraeP) the way of the Lord, make his path straight." +
13. After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water and the (vhensae) were opened to Him and He saw the Spirit of God coming down like a (edvo) and alighting upon Him. ++++
14. And suddenly a voice came from Heaven (gyaisn), 'This is my beloved Son in whom I am well (lspadee)."
**For Bonus Points: The verses above are not in the correct order, place them in the correct order.
+ Malachi: 4:5-6 "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord."
Isaiah 40:3 "The voicee of one crying..."
++ Rev. 14:19 "So the angel thrust His sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God."
Rev. 15:20 "The I saw another sign in the heaven, great and marvelous: seven angels having the seven last plagues, for in them the wrath of God is complete."
+++ Isaiah 1:25-26 "I will turn my hand against you and throughly purge away your dross, and take away all your alloy..."
++++ Isaiah 11:2 "...The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit o wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of council and might, The Spirite of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord."
Isaiah 42:1 "Behold My Servant whom I uphod, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him;..."
+++++Psalm 2:7 "I will declare the decree, The Lord has said to Me, You are My Son, today I have begotten You."
Matthew Chapter 4
Chapter 4 is one of my favorite chapters of the Gospel. In it we see Jesus placed in situations of temptations just at we are every day. Sometimes we find temptation extremely hard to resist, but here, if we pay very close attention Jesus shows us how to resist these temptations as well as how to come against the devil. See if you can tell what Jesus' secret weapon is.
We see Jesus spending time in the wilderness, a lonesome place that really is a very important place as well. So much so that not only did Jesus have to spend time in the wilderness before His ministry began, but so did another very important person in the Old Testament of whom God said the Messiah would be like. Ask yourself and search for the answer, why was this necessary to do before they began their ministry?
**Who is this type of redeemer of the Old Testament?
Fill in the blanks.
1. Upon being led into the wilderness, Jesus was tempted by ______?
2. Jesus fasted _____ days and _____nights.
3. Before he ever saw the burning bush _____ fasted in the wilderness.
4. When the devil tempted Jesus to turn bread to stone, Jesus replied,
"Man shall not live by ____alone but by every ____that proceeds from the mouth of ____." +
5. When the devil brought Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple and told Him to throw himself down. The devil used the term "For it is _____." ++
6. By using that term, it shows us that the devil also knows how to quote the
7. Using the ______correctly, Jesus is able to overcome each ________.
8. After Jesus showed the devil that he could not win against God's word, the devil ____ Him and _____ came to minister to Him. +++
9. Jesus heard that John had been put in _____, He departed to ______.
10. By leaving Nazareth and going to Capernaum in the regions of Zebulun and Naphtali, Jesus fulfilled a prophecy spoken by _______. ++++
11. Jesus beginning message was much the same as John's which was to "______ for the kingdom of heaven in at hand."
12. When Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, ______ and ______. They were _______.
13. The next set of brothers Jesus called to be His disciples were _____ and _______.
14. Jesus went about all of Galilee ______in the synagogues the gospel of the kingdom and______the sick of all kinds of diseases. +++++
15. His fame went throughout all of _____.
In looking at the disciple's that Jesus picked, we see that not just the rich or intelligent are important to God's work, but Jesus picked men from all different walks of life. You too are important to Him and as long as you make yourself a willing vessel He can use you for His glory.
Did you pay attention to what was said about bread? Could you survive several days without any food? You could but you would become weak. Jesus said: "we cannot live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." So accepting Jesus (our bread) as our Savior is enough to enter Heaven, but even Jesus had to survive in life. Jesus says we need the word's God gave throughout time as well. These words are about Jesus, truth, and God's will. Faith is our shield and salvation is our helmet - Ephesians 6:16, they alone are not enough to survive. In battle you can hold up your sheild for only a short time. To finish the battle, we need the same sword Jesus used in Matthew 4:4,7,10. This is what Ephesians 6:17, tells us we need to fight the devil and his host, it is what Jesus used in the wilderness - God's Word. Satan, you notice, used God's word as well, so its important to pay attention to those who use God's word for their own gain and glory. 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
***A thing we use to do that all the family enjoyed about Bible Study was each of us making up our own little tests between five and ten questions. When we were through we would trade them with each other or we would do each test together, one person's at a time. We also had to have our own answer keys and each person could be challenged on those answers. My children especially enjoyed doing this. It was a challenge for them to try and outsmart Mom, Dad and each other. The stories do not have to pertain to the study at the time, let them pick from anywhere in the Bible. You will be surprised what your children can teach you. I learned a lot from ours.
+ Psalm 91:11,12
++ Deuteronomy 6:16 "You shall not tempt the Lord your God as you tempted Him in Massah."
+++ Deuteronomy 6:13 "You shall fear the Lord your God and serve Him..."
++++Isaiah 9:1,2, 3 "Nevertheless, gloom will not be upon her who is distressed, as when at first He lightly esteemed the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali...the way of the sea beyond the Jordan in Galilee of the Gentiles. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined."
+++++Psalm 22:22 "I will declare your name to My brethren: In the midst of the congregtion I will praise you.
1. John the Baptist, Judea
2. repentance- Bonus: John, verse 1: 3, Pharisees, Sadducees, baptism, answered, wrath
4. fan, floor, wheat, burn, fire-Bonus: Jesus
6. will, with
7. Abraham, stones - Bonus: John to the Pharisees and Sadducees
8. Jesus, need, coming
10. camel's hair, leather, locusts, honey
11. Galilee, Jordan
12. wilderness, Prepare
13. heavens, dove
14. saying, pleased
Challenge-place in proper order:
1, 9, 12, 10, 3, 7, 2, 6, 4, 11, 8, 13, 5
**Moses was whom Jesus was like. Deuteronomy 18:15-19
Fill in the Blanks:
1. the devil 2. forty, forty 3. Moses 4. bread, word, God 5. written 6. Scriptures
7. Scripture, temptation 8. left, angel's 9. prison, Galilee 10. Isaiah - Bonus: 9:1,2
11. Repent 12. Peter, Andrew, fishing 13. James, John 14. teaching, healing 15. Syria
***Please feel free to ask me questions concerning any of these articles.